Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A Voice in the Breeze

Six years ago, I was in the middle of a very dark season of life.

One sweltering, summer day I  was at Costco filling my car's tank with gas. My kids were in the car, and I was standing there praying for God to reveal Himself to me, praying for a sign of His Presence.

Out of nowhere, a strong, cool breeze washed over my body, cooling my spirit and soothing my heart.

---

Many times, as I've filled my car's tank at Costco, I've remember how He met me that day, and how on that day He began to speak to my heart through the wind.

Today, I remembered again.

---

Today, I find myself amidst the darkest season I've yet to walk in this life -- watching my oldest son waste away in agonizing pain as the doctors scratch their heads in confusion.

I stood beside my van, the gas guzzling into the tank, and I remembered. I remembered how You met me here so long ago.

My heart wanted to ask if You were there . . . but the air was hot and was not moving.
This was not an easy question to allow my heart to breathe. It was certainly not a "gimme."
I was scared.
I was scared You would not show Yourself, that I would be more alone, somehow, after my heart released this query to You.

But I couldn't suppress the question,
though I was terrified of the answer,
afraid that the air would not move,
that the warm blanket of still air would remain around me, move in on me and suffocate me.

But I asked.



"Are You there?"

I waited in silence, aching.
Holding my breath.
Feeling the heat move in on me.
Scared that my God is not Who I thought He was.

But the faintest tickle of air brushed against my arms -- as if a guy smoking a cigar has released a puff of a smoke ring from his mouth onto my forearm. It was so faint that I stood there for a second wondering if I'd imagined it.

I looked down.

I felt it again. A tickle of air on my forearms.

The little feather sweeps of air kept coming, not strong, but Present.

"Okay. You're here."
My heart sighed a bit of relief but then choked out,

"But I need You stronger. I want You stronger."
"Here" doesn't seem to be cutting it right now. "Here" still means that my son is wasting away and in great pain, and You're not doing anything to make it stop. "Here" doesn't change the fact that my second son is carrying the weight of the possible death of his brother with him. "Here" doesn't cut the darkness with blinding light. "Here" doesn't take away the nauseating ache from my heart.

And then the tickle of air turned into a flutter of air.
And then a brush of air.
And then a gentle breeze came and caressed my whole body, and as it did, I very clearly heard, "I am coming."

The breeze kept cooling me, sweeping some of the heat from my spirit and body. "I am coming," You kept whispering.

"I am coming."

"I am coming."

---

To be honest, I don't know what His coming will look like.
I just don't know.
But I will know when He comes.

And right now, I just need to know that He's coming.

4 comments:

  1. as tears stream down my cheeks, i rejoice with you, courtney. he is coming. and he is faithful. he never stops listening to his beloved. one more reason to fill up at costco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Courtney...I'm so very sorry to hear about what's going on. My heart just broke reading this. Can I be of help in any way? What do you need? How can I specifically be agreeing in prayer with you? Lord Jesus, touch Courtney's son. Heal his entire body. May your Presence and sweet love overflow their family right now. Know we will be praying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney...you have always been such an encouragement to me....I pray I can be an encouragement to you and your family during this time. Know that I am lifting you up in prayer.....may you feel the touch of God in little ways each and every day, each and every minute.

    Alisa Snead

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney.... I am overwhelmed. I will not stop praying for you all. If there is anything else I can do I am so willing. Our Father is at work on your behalf and on your baby's behalf. Hold on to him my sweet friend. Love you~ Missy K.

    ReplyDelete